Simple & Healthy Recipes To Keep Your Food Interesting (& Keep You Sane) During The Lockdown
As we all take in the president’s announcement to extend the lockdown in South Africa, it might be the perfect time to find some delicious recipes that are super simple to make at home while in lockdown (and we promise, we aren’t going to mention anything that you can’t easily buy at the grocery store).
If nothing else, the lockdown has given us an abundance of time. Time for self-reflection, time to spend with our loved ones and time to hone in some new cooking skills (even with limited supplies). The present lockdown period seems the best time to try your hands on some easy healthy recipes at home that are both nutritious as well as wallet-friendly.
As fun as it is trying to get the family involved and really cook up a scrumptious meal, we know that it can be pretty easy to run out of fun and exciting dishes but don’t worry, we’ll share some ideas - let’s go!
Simple, easy and nutritious meals
1. 3-Ingredient Pancakes
Who doesn’t love pancakes?! This recipe will have you and your kids whipping up pancakes almost every morning!
This healthy meal idea requires:
● 2 x medium-sized bananas
● 4 x eggs
● 1 tsp coconut oil
What you need to do is mash two bananas with four eggs. Once that’s done, grease a pan with coconut oil and pour the batter into the pan and cook for two minutes. Once the pancakes are made, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, or blueberries to it. You can even drizzle the dish with some honey to add a little sweetness to the dish.
2. Simple Chicken Casserole
A simple one-pot meal that’s super quick and easy!
● 1 teaspoon oil
● 1 onion, finely chopped
● 3 (600g) skinless chicken breasts - diced
● 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
● 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
● 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
● 2 cups of chicken stock made with 3 teaspoons of stock powder
● 400g can of chopped tomatoes
● 2 tablespoons of flour
● 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Heat oil in a non-stick casserole dish or a large pan and cook the onion until it has softened. Add the chicken and cook over high heat until it has lost its pink colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and then cover the dish/pan and let it simmer for 35 minutes. Season to taste and serve!
- Enjoy - it’s that easy and delicious!
3. Quick meatballs in a tasty tomato sauce
This dish is a tasty dish for the whole family to fall in love with.
● 255g of macaroni pasta
● 500g of lean beef mince
● 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
● ½ cup of wholewheat breadcrumbs
● 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
● 1 egg - lightly beaten
● 2 cups of tomato passata
● 400g can of chopped tomatoes
● 8 cups of green salad
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until it’s soft. Drain and return to the pan, cover the pan to keep it warm.
- Combine mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and egg in a bowl. Shape meatballs into tablespoon sizes. Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs in batches, turning for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Bring tomato passata and canned tomatoes to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add browned meatballs. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve the meatballs with the pasta and salad. Feel free to garnish with some grated cheese!
4. Peanut Butter Oats
One of our personal favourites!
Oats are an all-time favourite and they’re the perfect breakfast option for chilly mornings as autumn makes its way to us.
● 1-3/4 cups water
● 1/8 teaspoon salt
● 1 cup oats
● 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
● 2 tablespoons honey
● 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
● 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
● Chopped apple, optional
In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Transfer oats to bowls; stir in the peanut butter, honey, flaxseed, cinnamon and, if desired, apple. Serve immediately and warm those tummies.
Some homely advice
Your home is the best place you can be right now. You are helping your whole country by staying home and keeping you and your family safe. These are difficult and uncertain times for all but we as a nation are stronger together. Take a look at these tips to make your home an extra healthy space.
Remember, you can never be too careful when it comes to your family's health and safety. For greater peace of mind, we at Oneplan offer you quick and easy access to our range of healthcare plans as well as home insurance to keep you extra safe. There's also the option to receive a simple quote, trouble-free and in no time.
Stay healthy and stay safe. But more than anything, stay home.
Yours in affordable home insurance,