Men, It’s Time To Take Your Health Seriously: Men’s Health Month
Did you know there was an entire month dedicated to men’s health? And not the guy with the washboard abs on a magazine cover. The month of June is dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of men’s health.
Men's Health Month is used to raise awareness about health care for men and focus on encouraging boys, men and their families to practice and implement healthy living decisions, such as exercising and eating healthy. Not only that but it is also used to educate men on screenings and check-ups they should do regularly to avoid any nasty health scares.
This month gives health care providers, health insurance and medical aid providers, the media, and individuals an opportunity to encourage men and boys to seek regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and injury.
A little bit about men’s health
It might be a stereotype but it is generally known that men don’t take their health as seriously as women do.
According to the gender gap, men pass away five years earlier than their wives, on average. This is partly due to biology but also a man’s health plays a role in this too.
Recognising and preventing men’s health problems is not just a man’s issue. A man’s health problem can impact an entire family and thus it really needs to be taken seriously.
When compared to women, men are more likely to:
- Smoke and drink
- Make unhealthy or risky choices
- Put off regular checkups and medical care
There are also health conditions that only affect men, such as prostate cancer and low testosterone. Many of the major health risks that men face - like colon cancer or heart disease - can be prevented and treated with early diagnosis. This is why going for regular screenings is so important. Screening tests can find diseases early when they are easier to treat.
What you can do
As a man, it’s important that you keep your health in mind - always.
Your family wants you around so take the time this month to:
- Spread the word - let your friends and family members know about the importance of men’s health. Encourage them to take it seriously.
- Go for screenings - regular screenings will save you money in the long run and will help you determine early enough if something is wrong.
- Exercise - this is your friendly reminder that exercise is important. You don’t have to kill yourself by working out for 2 hours a day but any activity is great. Start by going for regular walks.
- Eat healthier meals - we know cooking isn’t everyone’s favourite activity and quick meals are so much more convenient but try to choose the healthiest options possible when you’re looking for your next meal.
- Keep yourself informed - take the time to read about men’s health, the options out there for you and how you can help others.
- Be supportive - many men don’t like to talk about their health and believe they are strong enough to handle anything by themselves. Be someone who advocates for men’s health and who makes others feel comfortable enough to do the same.
Taking your health seriously with Oneplan
While you’re starting to take your health more seriously, you should look into health insurance. Health insurance is not something that should drain your bank account and it’s definitely not something you should consider after the fact.
With Oneplan, you gain access to a world of superior health insurance that is uncomplicated, personal and ensures that you can tap into our various resources at the mere click of a button. Health insurance is often complicated and difficult to understand which makes it difficult for anyone to sign up but that’s not our way of life here at Oneplan.
Take a look at this blog as your little go-to guide for all that is Oneplan health insurance to understand all of our plans. You might also want to take note of each section, what it covers and its various conditions and exclusions.
Private health insurance will always save you money in the long run and ensure you have access to screenings and preventive treatments without having to empty your bank accounts.
If you’re curious about what health plans we have to offer, click here to fully explore each insurance plan.
We’re here for you every step of the way.
Yours in quality and affordable health insurance,